This was a finished afghan large enough to cover our queen size bed. I think one of the dogs snagged the yarn and there were holes in the rows of joining. It's called Fisherman's Ring. You can find the pattern here.
After taking it apart I thought I would edge the squares with several bright colors. I wanted it to have an "Attic 24" look. I edged a couple in pink and a couple in blue. After a few days, I didn't like them. The colors were too bright to go well with the more subdued tan and green. I pulled this variegated yarn out of my stash and tried it. I like it much better. I've edged eight squares so far.